Vintage British Diecasts Website
Vintage British Diecast Forum • View topic - M8b - K8 Guy car transporter casting differences

M8b - K8 Guy car transporter casting differences

Lesney Matchbox Accessory packs, Major packs, King-Size & Superkings

Re: M8b - K8 Guy car transporter casting differences

Postby DrJeep » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 pm

IMG_5247 (2).jpg
turquoise and yellow K8
IMG_5247 (2).jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 135 times
While someone was investing heavily in the lovely pre-pro Daf transporter, I was pleased to find this for under 1% of the price, including postage costs. I think they're said to be hard to find (though pretty easy to spot), but no-one else bid on this one.
Attachments
IMG_5252.jpg
A big delivery of Ford station wagons
IMG_5252.jpg (82.34 KiB) Viewed 135 times
DrJeep

Postby zBret » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:22 pm

Nice find Glenn, I actually almost bid on that one, but as I have that version already i decided to take a pass. I'm happy to know that you got it :D
Next you will just have to keep an eye out for the transitional K-11 version of the transporter ;)
zBret
zBret

Postby Tinman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 pm

Quite obvious signs the Die is becoming worn out for this casting. The paint might be thick but the issue is the tooling.

DrJeep wrote:In response to zBret's question, here are the three cabs photographed separately and pasted together. It still looks like the middle grill is shorter but I think it's just that the paint on this one is very thick and is covering some of the detail. I think this thick turquoise paint combined with poor quality silver paint gives the indistinct appearance to the number plate as well.
Tinman

Postby DrJeep » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Tinman wrote:Quite obvious signs the Die is becoming worn out for this casting. The paint might be thick but the issue is the tooling.

Maybe, but they must have either repaired it really well for the King Size or alternatively had a pair of dies and retired this one, because the front of the later K8 is very sharp.

zBret wrote:I actually almost bid on that one, but as I have that version already i decided to take a pass. I'm happy to know that you got it
Next you will just have to keep an eye out for the transitional K-11 version of the transporter

Thanks Gene - I'm very pleased with it! I'm already looking out for the K-11 with the blue cab after I saw yours somewhere on the forum. I think that one must be much rarer.
DrJeep

Postby DrJeep » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:45 pm

A question: as the yellow K8 transporters were introduced, did any get the older orange wheels? Or did the red wheels make their way onto turquoise-cabbed K8s? It seems unlikely that the orange wheels ran out at exactly the same time as the orange trailers.
DrJeep

Previous

Return to Wolfie Ginsburg's Major & Accessory packs & King-Size