Vintage British Diecasts Website
Vintage British Diecast Forum • View topic - Removing paint

Removing paint

Restoration how to's

Re: Removing paint

Postby motorman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:46 am

And it is lemon scented........which is nice :lol: :lol:
Motorman

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
User avatar
motorman
Moderator
 
Posts: 6160
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:09 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Removing paint

Postby GHOSTHUNTER » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:00 am

motorman wrote:And it is lemon scented........which is nice :lol: :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ghosty.
User avatar
GHOSTHUNTER
Moderator
 
Posts: 9366
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:12 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, England.

Re: Removing paint

Postby KennewickMan » Tue May 31, 2016 2:11 am

I am certain it is covered here, but here are two from my own (original) collection. I apparently thought I could enhance the beauty of these once upon a time and decided they all needed red taillights and silver trim. Of course, I have ALWAYS thought my artistic vision far exceeded my ability to deliver... ;)

20160530_001_D300(small).jpg
20160530_001_D300(small).jpg (330.92 KiB) Viewed 275 times

20160530_002_D300(small).jpg
20160530_002_D300(small).jpg (263.76 KiB) Viewed 275 times

20160530_003_D300(small).jpg
20160530_003_D300(small).jpg (179.9 KiB) Viewed 275 times


I think the offending material is/was Tester's model paint...late 60s or early 70s vintage.

So, there are really two questions here - I'm planning on listing these and their family - am I worrying too much about removing my artwork? I would classify nothing in my collection above a 7+ or 8-

If I were to try and remove the paint, what method?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
"Obsessed?"
"No, just VERY focused"
User avatar
KennewickMan
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Eastern Washington, USA

Re: Removing paint

Postby GHOSTHUNTER » Tue May 31, 2016 2:44 am

Hi KenwicMman.

Have you read the posts in the earlier pages of this thread, because I think you will find some answers within. If the Testors paint you used was for the average hobbyist, I assume it was enamel based, meaning it dries to a hard enough finish to not require oven baking. If this is the case, then some of the liquids mentioned in the earlier posts should help remove the paint without damaging the model's original baked paint.

Please do read the earlier posts and come back with any further questions.

Ghosthunter.
User avatar
GHOSTHUNTER
Moderator
 
Posts: 9366
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:12 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, England.

Re: Removing paint

Postby KennewickMan » Tue May 31, 2016 6:17 am

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Hi KenwicMman.

Have you read the posts in the earlier pages of this thread, because I think you will find some answers within. If the Testors paint you used was for the average hobbyist, I assume it was enamel based, meaning it dries to a hard enough finish to not require oven baking. If this is the case, then some of the liquids mentioned in the earlier posts should help remove the paint without damaging the model's original baked paint.

Please do read the earlier posts and come back with any further questions.

Ghosthunter.


Thank you, sir...looks like I'll try the brake fluid option. That being said, is there much point, market-wise, in cleaning these kinds of models up?
"Obsessed?"
"No, just VERY focused"
User avatar
KennewickMan
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Eastern Washington, USA

Re: Removing paint

Postby GHOSTHUNTER » Tue May 31, 2016 3:09 pm

From my own personal viewpoint no, unless the models in question can be found to be scarce issues, which looking at them in your pictures I don't think they are, they appear to be fairly common issues, but do please show us both baseplates for a bit more assessment of them, thank's.

Ghosthunter.
User avatar
GHOSTHUNTER
Moderator
 
Posts: 9366
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:12 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, England.

Re: Removing paint

Postby KennewickMan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:16 am

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:From my own personal viewpoint no, unless the models in question can be found to be scarce issues, which looking at them in your pictures I don't think they are, they appear to be fairly common issues, but do please show us both baseplates for a bit more assessment of them, thank's.

Ghosthunter.



No real need there - nothing of particular interest or value (other than they were *MY* toys). I have incorporated a yellow 41C (call it a C6+) and a red 52C (a C6) into the collection, though.

Thanks for the interest and responses - my go-to gang!
"Obsessed?"
"No, just VERY focused"
User avatar
KennewickMan
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 10:22 pm
Location: Eastern Washington, USA

Re: Removing paint

Postby GHOSTHUNTER » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:17 am

"my go-to gang" we are the gang, got our fingers on the pulse of collecting!! :lol:

Ghosty.
User avatar
GHOSTHUNTER
Moderator
 
Posts: 9366
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:12 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, England.

Previous

Return to Tinman's Restoration Handbook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest